Australian Defence Medal
The Australian Defence Medal recognises Australian Defence Force personnel who have
- enlisted for a indefinite period and rendered four years qualifying service; or
- enlisted for a fixed period and completed the specified period of enlistment, or a period of four years, whichever is the lesser.
Qualifying service is counted by enlistment/appointment year – 12 months from your enlistment/appointment date – not calendar or financial year. Former members who did not complete the qualifying period may also be eligible if they:
- died in service;
- were medically discharged;
- discharged from service due to a discriminatory Defence policy of the time; or
- discharged from service as a consequence of mistreatment.